Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Aw Shucks!

Good news can bum you out!

Today I got the results of several tests I've been doing at an allergist. According to him, I am "off-the-charts" allergic to some trees and especially grasses. But I have no asthma, or exercise-induced breathing difficulty--in fact, the exercise test showed breathing improvement after 10 minutes of jogging at about 5 miles an hour. So that's something to rejoice over! But the theory is that exercise during allergy season can cause issues, because of how allergic I am to the seasonal stuff.

So the conclusion is that I'm healthy! Which means there's nothing I really have to do to get treated, except as a matter of preference. I don't know how much it'll cost for allergy shots, but I suppose I will eventually have the procedure done to make me immune to the allergens (you can actually do that!!). For now it's just a waiting game until next season, when I'll see how much of a difference Allegra makes (Claritin was useless for me), and then decide if shots are the way to go.

It feels good to have a clean bill of health. And I can't help but chuckle at the idea that my level of reaction to grass pollen either surprised or impressed the allergist. I have a "get-out-of-cutting-the-lawn-free-card" that I can use whenever I want, now. xD

~ Rak Chazak

No comments:

Post a Comment